Kandy Esala Perahera Day Excursion 1 Day
AM : Leave Colombo at approximately 9 AM and visit to Kandy via visiting the famous elephant orphanage at Pinnawela.
The wild life department of Sri Lanka established this orphanage in 1975 13 Kilometers Northwest of the Kegalle town which is a main town on the Colombo Kandy Road. Thousands of Tourists visit this Elephant orphanage every day, as this kind orphanage is one of the rare establishments in the World. Most of the elephants are bought to this orphanage from jungles or from sites where they get injured by falling into pits and wells as well with gunshot injuries created by farming communities, since these elephants go to their cultivation sites and destroy all their cultivation. Some baby elephants lose their parents and such ones are located and directly bought to this orphanage. Today there are about 65 such elephants in this orphanage thousands of tourist both local and foreign visit this orphanage every day and never missed on a tour Itinerary.
An open-air zoo, the first one in Sri Lanka, is set to open to tourists in March this year. It is located near the well-known Elephant Orphanage in Pinnawala. The government was intended to develop the area into a tourist zone with the opening of the open-air zoo.
Construction of the open-air zoo commenced in the year 2000. There is an internal road network, a security dam, a water tank and other facilities. Four acres of the Zoological gardens are allocated for local animals. Sri Lanka is wildlife lovers' paradise. It is home to rich variety of wildlife species including, monkeys, crocodiles, and elephants, sloth bears, spotted deer, samba (very large deer), wild boar, wild dogs and different species of birds. This open-air zoo will showcase the native animals of Sri Lanka. There is a special exhibition area for leopards. Tourist heading to Pinnawala for the Elephant Orphanage can drop by the open-air zoo.
About Kandy Esala Perahera
8th to 18th August 2016
Esala Perahera (The festival of the tooth of Lord Buddha) is the grand festival of the month of August held in Sri Lanka. It is very grand with elegant costumes. Happening in July or August in Kandy, it has become a unique symbol of Sri Lanka. It is a Buddhist festival consisting of dances and nicely decorated Elephants. There are fire-dances, whip-dances, Kandian dances and various other cultural dances.
The elephants are usually adorned with lavish garments.
The first procession of the Sacred Tooth Relic stars with the Kumbal Perhara. This is the first Kumbal Perhara shown to the infants to drive away Evil Spells and Illwill. It is a tradition that the procession parades the streets of Kandy for five days. But the Kumbal Perahara is popular and remains as an unfinished procession or a semi procession. The reason is that Nilames do not work in this procession. But the Drummers and Tuskers take part without any ceremonial costumes.
Randoli Perahera (Randoli Procession)
This could be seen only with the procession of the Sacred Tooth Relic and parade the streets for whole five days which is a tradition. In the days of the Kings the Chief Queen of the Kings paraded in this procession in Palanquins. As the participation of the Queens was not proper to the procession of the Sacred Tooth Relic they were stopped but a palanquin is taken in the procession as an honor to the Queen. Today it is taken as the last item of the procession.
PM : After witnessing the perahera return back to Colombo and will be dropped off from the Pick up point
How to witness this great event, Kandy Esala Perahera
It is essential that you book a seat in a viewing gallery well in advance to avoid disappointment since it is impossible to secure a seat at a viewing gallery by just walking on the day of Perehera/procession. We at CASONS TRAVELS Travel will reserve the seat for you in nine viewing galleries namely,
- Queens Hotel Corridor
- Pizza Hut Corridor
- Sithumina Book Shop Building
- Seetha Book Shop Building
- MPCS Building
- Francis Perera Building
- Paivas Hotel Corridor
- Devon Hotel Corridor
- No.12, Francis Perera Building
Included in the package
- Air-Condition transportation in a luxury COACH
- Excursion to the Elephant orphanage at Pinnawela including the entrance fees
- Perahera Tickets as of the respective seating points
- Snacks and refreshments
- All applicable Taxes
Terms and Conditions
- We undertake confirmed bookings only.
- There is No Child rate. Have to pay for Seat.
- Full payment to be made on Confirmation of Reservation - No credit facilities and no refunds.
- No Block Reservations.
- In the Event of a Change of a Viewing Gallery, We will give you sufficient notice.
- Your Confirmed reservation if cancelled you would have to bear a cancelation fee of LKR 4000 Per Seat, Therefore before making a reservation, Please make certain.
- Please advise your driver / guide to bring your guest to the respective locations at the given time (18.00 Hrs) 6.00 P.M - Day Perahera (14.00 Hrs) 2.00 P.M.
- In the event of being held up at Road Barriers we would not bear this responsibility.
- We would not be responsible for sudden change of routes for security reasons but would arrange to accommodate your guests on the routes announced by the Sri Dalada Maligawa.
- If there is an amendment in your Reservation, you should give sufficient notice and not at the last moment.
- Since there are limited seats at our locations please ensure that you make early reservations.
- The starting time of the Perahera depends on their auspicious time of the Sri Dalada Maligawa, which would be notified at that time.